Summary

Black and white silver gelatin photograph taken looking north-east inside the North Annexe of the Power House, Building 11, Kodak factory, Coburg, November 1958.

For the factory start-up period 1958-60, these two electric motor driven, high speed multi-cylinder reciprocating ammonia compressors [there were eventually three], as well as their shell and tube heat exchangers, piping and control equipment, were among the first equipment to be installed in the North Annexe. These units cooled ethylene-glycol (brine) which was circulated throughout the factory to an outgoing temperature of -9ºC. Brine was used in the factory by the chill rooms, for low dew-point drying and emulsion chilling, and to cope with summer load conditions. As the factory demands grew, two screw ammonia compressors were added to give a total capacity of 2.1MW.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.

Description of Content

Image of two reciprocating ammonia compressors, along with pressure gauge panels and electrical control cabinets. Shell and tube heat exchangers are visible further back on the north wall, with one set in the process of being lagged.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.

More Information