Summary

Black and white silver gelatin photograph looking east along Gatehouse Road, between Building 2, Emulsion Making, to the left and Building 3, Emulsion Coating, to the right, Kodak factory, Coburg, late 1959.

This streetscape features Gatehouse Road running between the west and south faces of Building 2, and the partially imaged north face of Building 3. The road ends at the main controlled entrance to the factory at Elizabeth Street. A section of the Power House services gantry is visible passing over the road. The main gate and shops along Elizabeth Street is visible in the far distance. At this stage of construction, all the sections of Buildings 2 and 3 had been completed externally, and the internal fit-out was under way with the relevant production facilities, internal services and office accommodation.

Kodak manufactured and distributed a wide range of photographic products to Australasia, such as, film, paper, chemicals, cameras and miscellaneous equipment. Its client base included amateur and professional photographers as well as specialist medical and graphic art professionals who used photography, x-ray and other imaging techniques.

This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005 after the manufacturing plant at Coburg had closed down the year before.

Description of Content

Image of a streetscape with a central road running diagonally between two buildings. The building to the left has a single and multi-storey section. There is an area of cleared ground far left. A flyover connecting the two buildings is evident at the third floor. To the right as the side of the road is a Geelong Cement bag. At the end of the road, suburban housing and shops is in the distance.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photograph printed on light weight paper, landscape format.

More Information