Black and white photograph showing the Allen steam turbine-driven alternator in the Power House (Building 11) of the Kodak Australasia Pty Ltd Coburg factory complex during the construction phase in mid to late 1960. This view shows the 500KW unit in the foreground and a package boiler can be seen behind, where the 1200 KW alternator was later installed. A turbine catwalk was being constructed around the complex steam controls which allowed a boiler house operator to adjust these controls whilst monitoring the instrumentation panel at the right of photo.
The total output (415V, 50Hz) from the two alternators represented about 50% of the planned total factory electrical load, but this very secure power production was reserved for the most critical factory processes and for use within the Power House itself. The remaining power was supplied off the less secure Coburg City Council grid and each building could be switched to either supply depending on operational circumstances. By the late 1970s the Council improved the security of their supply by installing a redundant high voltage feeder into the factory with an automatic switchover (a virtual ring main) to minimise the impact on the site in the event of an outage occurring in one part of their electricity grid.
This photograph is part of the Kodak collection of products, promotional materials, photographs and working life artefacts collected from Kodak Australasia in 2005, when the Melbourne manufacturing plant at Coburg closed down.
Description of Content
Interior view of factory under construction, showing 'catwalk' or walking platform being assembled around steam-driven turbines. There is a ladder and loose poles and equipment on the floor beneath the catwalk. A tall control panel is visible on the right side of the image.
Black and white photograph, landscape format.
Donation from Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, Ms. Kate Metcalf - Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd, 2005
Courtesy of Kodak (Australasia) Pty Ltd.
Photograph, 8" x 10", Black & White
Type of item