Summary

Three level timber framed display case glazed on all four sides.

Originally built in 1920s for the Industrial & Technological Museum and used for displaying the working models collection until the 1980s. Individual models were driven by leather belts through a system of pulleys and right-angle gear drives from two central drive shafts that ran along the centre of the case beneath each shelf. The drive shafts were operated from a 240V A.C. electric motor at one end of he case, with individual machines being operated by spring-loaded small buttons which when pressedt would engage one of a number of dog-clutch mechanisms. All of the models used in the case are still in the collection but are registered separately.

Physical Description

Large cedar-framed rectangular case glazed on all four sides and top. Measuring approximately 3085 mm long x 1095 mm wide x 2495 mm high overall (incl skirting arond base & architrave around top). Contains an electric motor with pulley drive, connected to two overhead line shafts are mounted along the centreline of case. Internal shelf dimensions of case are 2890 mm long x 930 mm wide.

More Information