The Naval Brigade was a voluntary, part-time brigade established in Victoria in 1859. It included a large proportion of ex-Royal Navy men trained in infantry and artillery drill, both ashore and on board ship. The Naval Brigade supplemented the small permanent navy. It was divided into Williamstown and Sandridge (Port Melbourne) divisions.
The Naval Brigade was part of the Victorian Colonial Military Force - organized Victorian (non-British) pre-colonial military activity, whether voluntary or professional.
National Archives of Australia Fact Sheet 134: 'Colonial defence personnel records held in Melbourne'