The Silver Rose (or Punch) bowl and cups were presented by the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York to Commodore Alfred L. Winsloe of the Royal Navy in 1901 to commemorate their visit to the colonies. The Duke and Duchess spent eleven weeks touring Australia and New Zealand aboard the HMS Ophir. The first stop on the tour was Melbourne, where the Duke presided over the opening of the First Federal Parliament of Australia, on 9 May 1901 at the Royal Exhibition Building .
This group of presentation silver was purchased by Melbourne Law firm, Mallesons Stephen Jaques, in 1997. It was donated to Museum Victoria to mark the Museum's move to the new building in the Carlton Gardens in 2000.