Frank Agostino migrated from Reggio Calabria in Italy in 1922 when he was 16 years old. He came with an elderly uncle who wanted him to work on his farm in Ferntree Gully, however Frank left to pursue his own path. He met Florence Thompson at the Italian Club Cavour in South Melbourne and they married at St George's Church in 1937.
The couple established Agostino food store in 1937 at 504 Swanston Street, Carlton. Florence recalls that it was initially in the rear of an old shop but as this location was unsuitable for a licence, they moved to 508 Swanston Street in 1939. The shop sold wine, spirits and groceries. While Frank was out selling wine from barrels to Italians around town and up to Wandin and Silvan in Melbourne's outer east, Florence ran the store.
At first the store stocked 'Australian' groceries but soon had cases of pasta which were purchased by customers from regional Victoria. These were either picked up at the shop or were transported by train to Mildura and elsewhere. Customers were mostly Italians who stopped on the way to and from Victoria Market. The shop also sold goods to Italian ships docked at Port Melbourne needing to replenish their Italian food stocks before returning to Europe. After the birth of their first child they moved to Brighton in 1944, but Florence continued to travel by train to the store. In 1956, the store was sold to the Valmorbida family, but continued to operated under the Agostino name for many years. Their son Michael now sells fine wines at Agostino's in Armadale.