William Wilson Jamieson, date of birth unknown; died 11 March 1882.
Originally from Beath, Scotland, it is not known when Jamieson came to Melbourne, but Gardner states that he had completed his apprenticeship as an ironmonger before he came.
He came to Warrnambool in 1857, after running an Ironmonger's business in Hawthorn and having worked for the hardware company McEwan & Co. in Melbourne. He bought a weatherboard building that had previously been a 'bowling saloon' in Liebig Street and opened a business that Gardner describes as a general store and Turnbull describes as a drapery store.
In time he was a member of the town council from 1862 to 1874 and from 1877 to 1880, becoming mayor of Warrnambool twice, in 1866-1868 and 1872-1873. He was also active in community organisations including the Mechanics institute and the Oddfellows Lodge. He was also a director of the Warrnambool Steam Navigation Company.
Jamieson was described as 'a keen, shrewd man of business, and a hearty jovial friend.' He worked at his business until his death, when it was taken up by Mr. Kruger, and upon his death by Duirs and Warrell, who were still operating in 1910 (Gardner). He issued his token, which was struck by Heaton and Sons in Birmingham, in 1862.
Gardner, F. (1910). 'Trade Tokens and the Firms who Issued Them', The Australian Storekeepers and Traders Journal, 30 June, pp.8-9.
Turnbull, J. (1992). 'Two Tokens of Australia Felix', Australian Coin Review, September, pp.34-36.
Watt, P.B. (1996). 'Tale of Two Tokens', Australian Numismatist, Golden Jubilee Edition, pp.105-109.
Sharples, J. (1993). 'Catalogue of Victorian Trade Tokens', Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia, Vol. 7, December, pp.76-77.
Hope, John (2005). 'Biography of W.W. Jamieson', unpublished MSS, 2005, 1pp.