The Victorian Anglers Club was established in the nineteenth century. It aimed to protect fish in the Melbourne area, promote fellowship between anglers, particularly through a Club Room, facilitate the 'advancement and increased interest in the sport by prize contests', provide reliable information to members and reduce expenses such as tackle, bait and travel. The Club imported fishing equipment directly from England and sold it to members at 'a trifle over cost price'. Members paid an annual fee of one guinea, plus half a guinea to join.
In 1884 the patrons of the Club were landowner, stud breeder and philanthropist Sir William John Clarke and E.L. Cox, MP. The Club president was A.F. Rayroux. The committee met at least monthly, and an annual general meeting was held each February. New members were nominated and seconded by existing members.
The Club Room was located at 57 Bourke St East, Melbourne. The Club banked through the Commercial Bank of Australia.
Rules of the Victorian Anglers' Club, 1884.