The Register of the National Estate, Geelong region historic buildings and objects study makes the following notes about St Paul's Church in Geelong: 'St Paul's Church of England, a brick building with freestone dressings, was erected between 1850-1855. Construction of the Church was considerably delayed by the gold rushes in Victoria. This notable early English Gothic-style church by distinguished and classically trained architect, Charles Laing, is clearly modelled on English parish church architecture of the early nineteenth century. The use of brick instead of stone is an unusual development in Geelong and reflects the influence of English practice. St Paul's is a familiar Geelong landmark and an important centre of the Anglican faith in the town. Geelong architects, Snell and Kawerau (1853) and later Snell and Prowse (1855) were responsible for its completion. Leonard Terry designed the square tower, extended in 1865.'
Victorian Heritage Register on-line http://www.doi.vic.gov.au/doi/hvolr.nsf.