Saint David's Cathedral is the church of the Bishop of Tasmania's episcopal chair (cathedral), therefore serving the diocese, the city and the state.
Built between 1868 and 1936, Saint David's is widely regarded as the finest example outside England of the work of the leading Victorian architect, George F. Bodley. Building started in January 1868 and the nave was completed in February 1874. The former and new churches then stood together for six months before the former church was demolished. The Cathedral's cloisters and tower, built on the site of the old church, were finally completed in 1936. Bodley's plans were followed throughout the 68-year construction.
The cathedral is neo-Gothic style, with an arcaded entry featuring a large west-facing window with fine tracery in the gable end with balancing buttressed turrets. A square tower (peal of 13 bells) of simple design is built of fine Oatlands stone. The openings have a castellated parapet to tower and quatrefoil tracery design, a single turret rises on the north west corner.
The cathedral was consecrated in 1894, and a medal was issued to commemorate the event (NU 34784).
The Anglican Church in Tasmania website http://www.anglicantas.org.au/directory/p-stdavids.html
Celebrating Hobart's Bicentenary website http://members.iinet.net.au/~dnichols/bells/appeal/200years.html
Australian Heritage Places Inventory website http://www.heritage.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahpi/record.pl?RNE10993