Peter Brown was a building contractor in Ipswich, Queensland, in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. He was well known locally and was Mayor of Ipswich in 1880, 1878-1888, 1890 and 1900. He was also an Alderman from 1888-1889 and from 1891-1899.
Peter was in partnership with Alexander Macgregor, for most of the time he worked in Ipswich. Buildings he constructed include the Ipswich & West Moreton Building Society Building in 1888 and 'Brynhyfryd' designed by George Brockwell Gill in 1889, home to Lewis Thomas M.L.C., known as the 'Coal King'.
'Four Gates Park' in North Ipswich was renamed Browns Park in his honour, and Brown Court in Brassall was also probably named after him.
Ipswich City Council website http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/heritage/about_ipswich/place_names/pdfs/Brassall.pdf