The area covered by the Leigh Shire Council, located in Central Victoria, was originally part of the counties of Grant and Grenville. Its municipal township was Rokewood. The area has a rich gold mining history. The Pioneer Gold Mining Company was established locally in 1857. Wool and grain, together with cattle and poultry farming contributed to the later development of the local economy.
The name Leigh was originally derived from Lancashire, England, meaning flat land by river.
The Leigh Roads District was created in 1861. Leigh became a Shire on 22 March 1864.
The Leigh Shire Council issued a medal in 1985 to commemorate the Sesquicentenary of Victoria (NU 20704).
On 6 May 1994 the municipalities of Leigh, Bannockburn, Grenville and part of Buninyong were united to form the Golden Plains Shire Council. Golden Plains today comprises parts of four former rural councils over 2705 square kilometres, and today services several township and rural communities. Niche agricultural developments have included exotic animals and intensive farming.
Blake, L. (1977). Place Names of Victoria.
Golden Plains Shire website http://www.goldenplains.vic.gov.au, accessed 23/01/2004