Deniliquin is situated on the Edward River in south western New South Wales. In 2003 it was one of the largest rural centres in the Riverina after Albury and Wagga Wagga.
Originally in the land of both the Birrapa Birrapa and Wamba Wamba peoples, Europeans first settled the area in 1840, following a push by Benjamin Boyd to take up pastoral holdings in the Riverina district. The earliest building, established in 1845, was an inn called the 'Wanderer' after one of Boyd's ships. Within three years a blacksmith's forge and a store were established, and the town's first doctor, Dr Coward, arrived.
In 1848 the area was consitituted a town and named 'The Sandhills'. Two years later it was officially gazetted Deniliquin, taking the name of a leader of the local Aboriginal people, 'Denilikoon', an imposing figure at 6' 4".
The Municipality of Deniliquin was constituted on 19 December 1868, with the first Municipal Election held on 23 February 1869. 18 years later in 1887, the Municipality of Deniliquin issued a medal to commemorate Queen Victoria's jubilee (NU 20321). The medal named G. Chandler as Mayor.
The extension of the railway from Moama (on the Murray) to Deniliquin in 1876 created a direct link to Melbourne providing two-way traffic and a feeling of natural affiliation with Victoria.
Deniliquin remained a hub of rural industry in the 20th century, making much of its location with easy access to water, particularly the Murray wetlands, and state forests.
In 1988 bushfires devastated the region leaving a legacy that would endure for more than a decade.
The 1993 Local Government Act saw the Council's name changed to the Deniliquin Council.
Deniliquin Town Council website http://www.deniliquin.nsw.gov.au/, accessed 06/01/2004.
People's Voice: Australian Community History On-line website http://www.peoplesvoice.gov.au/stories/nsw/deniliquin/deniliquin_c.htm, accessed 06/01/2004.