Bannockburn Shire was located 93 km south-west of Melbourne. The town of Bannockburn, named after famous battle site where Robert Bruce defeated Edward II in 1314 in in Scotland, developed in the 1850s when gold was being brought by coach from the fields in Ballarat to the port at Geelong. It became an important staging post for gold escorts.
The town developed around the Somerset Hotel. By 1860 a lock-up had been established. This was used for the double purpose of a gaol and an overnight 'bank vault' for the gold.
The Bannockburn district was created on 31 October 1862; it became a shire on 30 June 1864.
The railway arrived in 1863 and the town was moved (away from the Somerset Hotel) to meet the needs of the railway workers and the added business it brought to the town.
The Shire of Bannockburn issued a medal in 1985 to commemorate the Sesquicentenary of Victoria (NU 20690).
On 6 May 1994 the former municipalities of Bannockburn, Leigh, Grenville and part of Buninyong united to form the Golden Plains Shire Council.
Today Bannockburn is a tiny settlement overwhelmed by the proximity of both Geelong and Ballarat.
Blake, L. (1977). Place Names of Victoria.
Municipal Association of Victoria website http://www.mav.asn.au, accessed 31/12/2003.
Fairfax Walkabout Australian travel guide website http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/VICBannockburn.shtml, accessed 31/12/2003.