The Jewish community was established in Melbourne in 1841. The first Jews included expelled convicts as well as free settlers looking for a better life. In 1847 the first synagogue was opened. Following the discovery of gold in 1851 Jewish prospectors began to arrive, mainly from continental Europe.
The Melbourne Hebrew school was established as a day school in 1874. In 1880 its president was N. Levi, named on a medal given to pupils to commemorate a school marine expedition (NU 20868).
The school continued till 1886, when it was closed because of financial difficulties.
Database of Jewish Communities website http://www.bh.org.il/Communities/Archive/Melbourne.asp, accessed 28 Jan 2004