Massey Ferguson (Australia) Limited was formed in 1958, to take over the Australian manufacturing and distribution activities of the global Massey-Ferguson group, which produced tractors, agricultural equipment and construction machinery. The Massey-Ferguson organisation had formed in 1953, initially under the title Massey-Harris-Ferguson Ltd, when the Canadian-based tractor and agricultural equipment manufacturer Massey-Harris Ltd merged with Harry-Ferguson Ltd of the United Kingdom, which produced tractors, construction equipment and agricultural implements under the "Ferguson" brandname.
Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd was based at Devonshire Road, Sunshine, Victoria, where its predecessor H.V. McKay Massey Harris Pty Ltd had been based since 1930. The manufacturing plant, known as the Sunshine Harvester Works had originally been founded by the Australian inventor and industrial entrepreneur Hugh V. McKay at Ballarat, in the 1890s, before moving to Braybrook Junction (later renamed Sunshine) on the western outskirts of Melbourne in 1906. Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd also operated manufacturing plants at Bendigo, Victoria (from 1964) and Bundaberg, Queensland (from 1969, previously Crichton Industries Pty Ltd), as well as assembly and warehousing depots at Concord West, New South Wales; Geebung, Queensland and Maylands, Western Australia.In 1992 Massey Ferguson (Aust.) Ltd merged with the Australian distributor of the Japanese tractor manufacturer Iseki to become Massey Ferguson Iseki Australia Limited, which in turn become AGCO Australia Ltd in 1994. The Sunshine manufacturing plant was closed and the site sold in the late 1980s, while the corporate offfice and spare parts departments of AGCO Australia were relocated new premises with a purpose-built computer-controlled warehouse at 615 Somerville Road, Sunshine West, in 2003.