John Fox Twigg was born at Grantham, Linconshire, in 1732 and is listed by Heer (1978) as being apprenticed to the Irish gunmaker, Edward Newton (active 1718-1764), though no dates for the apprenticeship are offered.
By 1755, Blackmore (1986) lists Twigg working as a gunmaker from Angel Ct., Charing Cross until 1760 when he moved to 132 Strand, opposite Catherine St., and continued at this address until 1776.
He moved again in 1776, this time to Piccadilly where he remained until 1790. During these 14 years he opened several warehouses; at little Somerset St., in 1771; 30 Cornhill, 1777 and Tower Hill in 1779. His only son, John, was apprenticed in 1786 to Henry Nock, and subsequently inherited his father's business.
In 1788 Twigg formed a partnership with his newphew, John Bass (b.1761 - d.1794) although this was cut short by Twigg's death. As Blackmore notes, however, the trade directories are misleading in this respect, and show the business continuing at Piccadilly until 1795.
Blackmore, H. (1986). A Dictionary of London Gunmakers, 1350-1850, Phaidon, Christie's, Oxford.
Heer, E. (1978). Der Neue Stockel, vol.2, Journal-Verlag, Schwend BmbH.