In 1896 Charles Harper, a significant figure in Western Australian history, established a school for his own children and those of the surrounding district in his large home, Woodbridge House. Harper intended that his school would be a private instititution along the lines of the English Public School model. Classes began in the billiard room under the tutilage of the school's first Headmaster, Frank Bennett.
In 1904 the School moved from the Harper family home to its present site. It grew quickly and was particularly successful in rowing and football. Guildford became one of the leading schools of Western Australia, and helped to establish the Secondary Public Schools' Sports Association of Western Australia, regarded as Western Australia's pre-eminent group of independent schools.
Guildford Grammar School website http://www.ggs.wa.edu.au/ht_early.htm