Charles Douglas Richardson was a visual artist known for his work as a sculptor. Born in Islington, London, he migrated to Australia with his family at the age of five. Educated at Scotch College, he was apprenticed to De Gruchy & Leigh of Melbourne and attended the Artisans' School of Design in Carlton. He also studied painting at the National Gallery School of Design with fellow pupils Tom Roberts and Bertram Mackennal. In 1881 he travelled to England to study art at the Royal Academy Schools, together with Roberts, Mackennal and Arthur Streeton. He returned to Melbourne eight years later and taught art at the Victorian Artists' Society. He joined with other artists to form the Yarra Sculptors' Society in 1898.
Richardson's sculpture commissions included war memorials at Strathalbyn, SA, the Commercial Travellers' Association, Melbourne and at the All Saints Church of England, East St Kilda. His medallic work included the Great War Children's Victory Medal (NU 35380 and others) and the Bert Hinkler medal (Carlisle 1928/1) commissioned by the Numismatic Association of Victorian and produced by Stokes.
Bayside City Council holds a collection of Richardson's sculptures and paintings, bequeathed by the artist.
Carlisle, Leslie J. & Fleig, Peter (2002). 'The Great War Children's Peace Medal'. Numismatics Association of Australia Journal. 13, pp. 48-72.