The Army and Navy Co-Operative Society Ltd was formed in 1871 by a group of British army and navy officers. It was their intention to supply articles of domestic consumption and general use to its members at the lowest rates. The first store opened on 15 February 1872 at Victoria Street, London. At the end of 1873 a gun department was established.
By the end of the century the Society was issuing an enormous annual illustrated price list, had introduced telephone ordering and had reduced mail order prices. In 1934 the company's official name became the Army and Navy Store Ltd and in 1973 Army and Navy Stores was taken over by House of Fraser.
Moss, Michael and Turton, Alison (1989). A Legend of Retailing: House of Fraser, London, Weidenfield and Nicolson.