The Telegraph Construction & Maintenance Company was formed in April 1864 by the merger of the Gutta Percha Company with Glass, Elliot, and Company. Its first big project was laying a trans-Atlantic cable between Ireland and Newfoundland for the Atlantic Telegraph Company. The first attempt in 1865 failed but success occurred in 1866. Later in 1866, the 1865 cable was recovered and repaired, providing two operational cables.
The company went on to lay many more cables all over the world. It was taken over by British Insulated Callender's Cables in 1959.