Summary

Australia New South Wales Sydney
National Trust Centre
Mint: Amor
Other Details: Gilt medal issued by the Sydney coin dealer M.R. Roberts featuring view of the National Trust Centre, NSW. The Centre was originally built in 1815 by Governor Macquarie and designed by Lieutenant John Watts as military hospital. It was two storeys in sandstone brick with sandstone quoins, flat lintels and arched door openings. In 1849 colonial architect Mortimer Lewis converted the builting into a classroom block for the new model school then being established. He replaced colonnades with a Neo-classical stuccoed brick facade and removed most transverse walls to give large room sizes. A new parapet with a coat-of-arms was added. The building is today used as the headquarters of the National Trust of Australia (NSW). The National Trust of Australia (NSW) is an independent, non-government, community-based organisation. It was formed in 1945 to prevent the destruction of built and natural heritage. Today it is Australia's oldest and largest organisation for the protection of heritage.

Physical Description

Gilt medal issued by the Sydney coin dealer M.R. Roberts featuring: View of building set under tree-branches, below, THE / NATIONAL TRUST / CENTRE / OBSERVATORY / HILL N.S.W. At centre, a gum-twig below an arch, above NATIONAL, below, TRUST

Obverse Description

View of building set under tree-branches, below, THE / NATIONAL TRUST / CENTRE / OBSERVATORY / HILL N.S.W.

Reverse Description

At centre, a gum-twig below an arch, above NATIONAL, below, TRUST

Edge Description

Plain

Significance

The Centre was originally built in 1815 by Governor Macquarie and designed by Lieutenant John Watts as military hospital. It was two storeys in sandstone brick with sandstone quoins, flat lintels and arched door openings. In 1849 colonial architect Mortimer Lewis converted the builting into a classroom block for the new model school then being established. He replaced colonnades with a Neo-classical stuccoed brick facade and removed most transverse walls to give large room sizes. A new parapet with a coat-of-arms was added. The building is today used as the headquarters of the National Trust of Australia (NSW). -Register of the National Estate web site http://www.ahc.gov.au/cgi-bin/ahdb/search.pl?mode=place_detail;place_id=2153. -D. Tout-Smith 1/12/2003.

More Information