Colt 1873 Single Action Army (SAA) or Peacemaker centrefire revolver, third generation, cal. .357 Magnum, rifled round barrel 138 mm (4 3/4 in) long with R.H.side mounted ejector.

Made by Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Co, Hartford, Connecticut, serial number SA49500, 1981. Engraved by J.R. Brown.

Shipped by Colt's to Frontier Arms Company, Canberra, 22 July 1981. See Colt Archive Properties authentication letter, dated 22 March 2007.

Physical Description

Six chambered cylinder with standard flutes, steel trigger guard, solid steel frame, steel back strap, chequered plastic two-piece grips with framed Colt logo of rampant horse at upper and winged eagle over shield motif at lower on both sides, blade front sight, loading gate on R.H.side. Barrel address is a Hartford address. Profusely engraved with gold inlay, frame polished in the white, with all other metal work left in factory blue finish. Indian teepees and buffolo skull inlaid in gold into L.H. side of frame, Indian chief head, tomahawk and lynx inlaid in gold on R.H.side of frame, Dome of Colt's Hartford, Connecticut, factory inlaid in gold on loading gate and bear inaid in gold on loading lever.


Production of the Colt Single Action Army ceased in 1940s, although small batch of almost 900 continued to be produced during and immediately after the war years. Production recommenced in 1956 with serial number 0001SA (Single Action) and these second generation Single Actions continued through until number 99999SA in 1978. In that year, the serial numbering was changed again and the third generation began, starting with number SA01001.

More Information