Slate board writing set used by Margaret Wood at Horton Grammar School, Box Hill, when she started school in 1934. The soft slate of the pencil wrote on the hard slate of the board, and could easily be wiped off.
Margeret went onto graduate with an arts degree from the University of Melbourne, and applied for a position with the Public Service. As she spoke German, she was placed with the Department of Immigration. She served there from 1951 to 1961, when she left to get married (as was the policy in the public service then).
Horton Girls' Grammar School was located in Whitehorse Road. It was advertised in The Argus, 13 September 1919, p.26, as offering kindergarten to leaving education.
According to Gordon Moyes, the school was run by a Mrs Cherry, and met in Box Hill Girl Guides' Hall when he briefly attended (due to war-time school shortages).
Rectangular, slate writing board with wooden frame. The board has a series of lines etched into the surface of one side. Tubular slate pencil that tapers at one end to form a point (through use). The opposing end is partially covered in green/ cream decorative paper.
Donation from Mrs Margaret Wood, 19/06/2003
Place & Date Used
Type of item
177 mm (Width), 9 mm (Depth), 228 mm (Height)
Dimensions of Slate Board only. Dimensions of Pencil: Length: 127mm; Diameter: 5mm
Information on Horton Grammar School for Girls from the website of the Rev. Hon. Dr Gordon Moyes, [Link 1] accessed 22 Dec 2009.