Copy of a black & white photograph depicting the original 2-4-0 type steam 'passenger' locomotives built by the Beyer Peacock, of Manchester, for the Victorian Railways and imported in 1874. The engine was intended to be a 'pattern' locomotive designed for use the Victorian Railways' country branch lines or 'light lines' that were built throughout central Victoria between 1873 and 1893. Subsequently 20 further engines of the same design were built by the Phoenix Foundry Co., of Ballarat, in two batches Nos.126-144 (even numbers only), which went into service in 1876-77, and Nos.166-184 (even numbers only), which entered service in 1879-80. The engines were originally primarily used for hauling branch line passenger services out of the Ararat, Ballarat, Benalla, Geelong, Princes Bridge, Sale and Seymour locomotive depots. Originally they were equipped with four-wheel tenders but by 1894, most had been given larger six-wheel tenders. Engine number 98 was scrapped in 1919, after seven of the class had been converted to 2-4-2 type tank locomotives for use on Melbourne suburban passenger services.

The photograph was probably taken on one of the 'light lines' built northwards from Ballarat through Clunes and Maryborough, during the early 1870s.

Description of Content

Three engine crew pose with Victorian Railways F-class 2-4-0 type steam locomotive No.98 (built by Beyer Peacock, Manchester, 1873). The engine is parked in a station yard coupled to mixed goods and passenger train. In the background can be seen a crowd of further people surrounding a water crane for refilling locomotive tenders. There is no station platform or goods sheds visible.

More Information