Description of Content

The railway station at Fairfield Park. East of the Station the track became single line. End pivot semaphore signals are visible at the end of the station platform. Victorian Railways adopted an end pivot semaphore signal around 1882 which became standard. However from the late 1880s these were steadily replaced by the existing central pivot somersault arms. Relics of the former however survived into 20C. After the adoption of the green light for clear instead of white in 1898 all semaphore signals were retrofitted with a green glass as well as a red. (Fisher, Peter. Victorian Signalling: By Accident or Design (ARHS Publications, 2005).

More Information