Description of Content

Interior of Victorian Railways electric power station at Spencer Street which supplied power for electric lighting in Spencer Street Station and railway yards and the Victorian Railways administration building. Shows four Parsons 150kW turbo-alternator sets installed in 1898, which supplied D.C. power for electric lighting through Ferranti rectifiers. Two workers are standing with a hand on the steam inlet valve of the front two units. Photograph probably taken during installation as only the front turbine appears to have a steam inlet pipe connected. This was the earliest known installation of steam turbines in Victoria.

More Information