War Funds Appeal Prize Medal for tennis awarded in 1941. This medal reflects the use of sport as a fundraising activity in Melbourne during World War II. It was issued by the Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria. The Lawn Tennis Association of Victoria was established in 1904, and in 1920 took possession of the Kooyong stadium, where international tennis contests were held until the opening of the sports and entertainment centre in Flinders Park, Melbourne. The medal was designed by Melbourne artist and critic Alan McCulloch (1907-1992).

Obverse Description

Male tennis player moving right playing a backhand; below, ALAN McCULLOCH '41.

Reverse Description

Rifle, helmet and garment above plaque; below, WORLD WAR II ; around, THE LAWN TENNIS ASSOCIATION OF AUSTRALIA.WAR FUNDS APPEAL.

Edge Description


More Information