Description of Content

German Krupp SK L/40 28cm railway gun known as the Amiens Gun at Canberra railway siding. Captured by the 31st Battalion AIF on 8 August 1918 during the final great Allied offensive on the Western Front. The gun had first been spotted from the air by Capt John Duigan and his observer Lt Alec Paterson on 21 April 1918 when it was used to shell Amiens. The gun was shipped to Australia for the Australian War Memorial as a war prize and after exhibition in Sydney was parked at Canberra railway station for most of the interwar years. The mounting was taken to Port Wakefield, SA during World War II for use in testing naval guns but was not returned to Canberra and was later scrapped. The barrel and roof survive at the Memorial.

More Information