Summary

Australia Victoria City of Melbourne
Edward VII Coronation medal, 1902 (AD)
Mint: Stokes
Proof-like strike, not holed
Other Details: The coronation of Edward VII in 1902 prompted major celebrations in Australia. It was an opportunity for the new nation to reaffirm its pride at being a key member of the British Empire. Over 40 different medals were produced around Australia, including this medal issued by the Borough of Annandale. Annandale is located on the southern side of Sydney Harbour. In 1793 the area was granted to Lieutenant George Johnston, who had supervised the transportation of convicts in the First Fleet. George named Annandale after his birthplace Annan, Scotland. He and partner Esther Abrahams, cleared and developed the estate. By 1876 the subdivision of the Annandale Estate had begun. The Annandale Borough seceded from Leichhardt in 1894. In 1902 the Beale piano factory was opened by Sir Edmund Barton, Australia's first Prime Minister. During the same year the Borough issued this medal. In 1949 the municipalities of Annandale and Balmain were amalgamated with Leichhardt.

Obverse Description

At centre, within line circle conjoined busts of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra; around, EDWARD VII AND ALEXANDRA 0; below, CROWNED 26 JUNE / 1902. Struck on a shield shaped flan with a crown and loop at the top

Reverse Description

EDWARD VII/KING AND EMPEROR/ACCESSION 22.1.1901/CORONATION 26.6.1902/ GOD SAVE THE KING/BOROUGH/OF/ANNANDALE CELEBRATION

Edge Description

Plain

Significance

The coronation of Edward VII in 1902 prompted major celebrations in Australia. It was an opportunity for the new nation to reaffirm its pride at being a key member of the British Empire. Over 40 different medals were produced around Australia, including this medal issued by the Borough of Annandale. Annandale is located on the southern side of Sydney Harbour. In 1793 the area was granted to Lieutenant George Johnston, who had supervised the transportation of convicts in the First Fleet. George named Annandale after his birthplace Annan, Scotland. He and partner Esther Abrahams, cleared and developed the estate. By 1876 the subdivision of the Annandale Estate had begun. The Annandale Borough seceded from Leichhardt in 1894. In 1902 the Beale piano factory was opened by Sir Edmund Barton, Australia's first Prime Minister. During the same year the Borough issued this medal to commemorate the coronation of Edward VII. In 1949 the municipalities of Annandale and Balmain were amalgamated with Leichhardt. -Ramin Communications web site http://www.ramin.com.au/annandale/; University of Woolongong CEDIR web site http://cedir.uow.edu.au/programs/FirstFleet/s_multi.html; Leichardt Council web site http://leichhardt.socialchange.net.au/council/. -D. Tout-Smith 21/11/2003.

More Information