Glass negative stereograph showing the German Relief Society Float, Friendly Society Procession, which took place on 11 May 1901. It is part of the G. H. Myers Collection which consists of 73 photographs taken by Godfrey Henry Myers, an electrician and amateur photographer, in Melbourne during May 1901. 72 of these photographs depict preparations for the celebrations that surrounded Federation; all but one are glass stereographs. This collection represents Myers' one venture into commercial photography. It is significant for its images of the crowds, which do not feature so prominently in commercial photographs. The remaining photograph is a family portrait.

The opening of the Australian Parliament on May 9 1901 was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.

Description of Content

German Relief Society Float, Friendly Society Procession, Collins Street, Federation Celebrations, Melbourne, 11 May 1901. In front of the crowd is a mounted policeman wearing a black helmet. Behind him is the German Sick and Relief Society float. At the front on either side of the float are eagles with outstretched wings. A woman dressed in white representing the newly united Australia holds hands with a woman dressed in Roman military costume representing recently federated Germany. In the background is the German Arch. On the right is a man dressed as the Kaiser in German military uniform. A controversial choice due to the tensions between the British and German Empires. The unofficial Australian flag being flown overhead is without the large star of the Commonwealth; this was acquired on 3 September 1901. To the left is the Town Hall clock, to the right is a largely empty fee-paying viewing stand.

More Information