Glass negative stereograph showing the King's Arch under construction on Swanston street. It is part of the G. H. Myers Collection which consists of 73 photographs taken by Godfrey Henry Myers, an electrician and amateur photographer, in Melbourne during May 1901. 72 of these photographs depict preparations for the celebrations that surrounded Federation; all but one are glass stereographs. This collection represents Myers' one venture into commercial photography. It is significant for its images of the crowds, which do not feature so prominently in commercial photographs. The remaining photograph is a family portrait.

The opening of the Australian Parliament on May 9 1901 was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.

Description of Content

Federation celebration preparations in Swanston Street, Melbourne, April 1901. On the left a ladder leads to the temporary viewing stands constructed over the shop verandahs. On the right going past to North Carlton is a Cable tram with its Saloon and open Dummy car. A horse and gig and a cart carrying drainage pipes are travelling towards the wooden skeleton of what will become the temporary King's Arch.

More Information