Glass negative stereograph showing the Union Bank on Collins street. It is part of the G. H. Myers Collection which consists of 73 photographs taken by Godfrey Henry Myers, an electrician and amateur photographer, in Melbourne during May 1901. 72 of these photographs depict preparations for the celebrations that surrounded Federation; all but one are glass stereographs. This collection represents Myers' one venture into commercial photography. It is significant for its images of the crowds, which do not feature so prominently in commercial photographs. The remaining photograph is a family portrait.

The opening of the Australian Parliament on May 9 1901 was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.

Description of Content

The Union Bank at 351-357 Collins Street was one of the many imposing public and private buildings built upon the wealth generated by the gold rush which helped create 'Marvellous Melbourne'. For the Federation Celebrations of 1901 the Union Bank's architectural features were outlined in lights. Across the front were illuminated mottos, regal symbols and images of a rose representing England, a shamrock Ireland, and a thistle Scotland. The Motto underneath stated 'Union is Strength'. Next door to the bank there was a receiving office for Reuters telegrams. Reuters had been in competition with local news agencies since 1860, helping to connect Australia through news and commercial information with the rest of the world.

More Information