Glass negative stereograph showing the American Warship 'Brooklyn' and the Russian Warship 'Gromoboi' docked at Port Melbourne Railway Pier. It is part of the G. H. Myers Collection which consists of 73 photographs taken by Godfrey Henry Myers, an electrician and amateur photographer, in Melbourne during May 1901. 72 of these photographs depict preparations for the celebrations that surrounded Federation; all but one are glass stereographs. This collection represents Myers' one venture into commercial photography. It is significant for its images of the crowds, which do not feature so prominently in commercial photographs. The remaining photograph is a family portrait.

The opening of the Australian Parliament on May 9 1901 was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.

Description of Content

American and Russian Warships, Port Melbourne Railway Pier, Federation Celebrations, Melbourne, May 1901. Large crowds are visiting the Russian cruiser 'Gromoboi' on the left and the American cruiser 'Brooklyn' on the right. The Brooklyn's name is spelt out in very large letters. Both are painted in highly visible white to signal their peaceable intentions. The Brooklyn, launched in 1895 was 400' long, with a breadth of 65' and a draught of 26'. It had 3 funnels and two masts which rose straight up rather than at the usual aesthetically raked angle. Masts from sailing days were retained for elevated machine gun platforms, for searchlights and for wireless telegraphy. The Gromoboi, a first-class cruiser was 476' long, had a beam of 70' and a draught of 26'. It had 4 funnels, 3 masts, and a top speed of 23 knots. It was the newest and the largest warship to have entered Port Phillip. Both were heavily armed and with up to 6'' of iron cladding for protection.

More Information