Australia Victoria Hawthorn
Proclaimation of the City of Hawthorn 1890 (AD)
A. E. Brown, jeweller, Hawthorn
Mint: not recorded
Other Details: Medal issued in commemoration of the proclamation of the City of Hawthorn and the visit of Governor Hopetoun. It names A.E. Brown, jeweller of Hawthorn, who possibly also made the medal. Albert E. Brown was a listed in the Melbourne Directory as a watchmaker located in Burwood Road, Hawthorn. The Boroondara Library holds an image of another copy of this medal, presented to local lamplighter Andrew Paul. The Library's records suggest that only 12 of these medals were minted. It also holds a photograph of the visit of the Governor. Hawthorn became a separate municipality in 1860, and within five years its population was about 3,000 people. In the next two decades Upper Hawthorn, now Glenferrie, attracted houses and shopping. The railway was extended to this area in 1882 and a horse tram service in 1890, the year Hawthorn was proclaimed a City.
View from front of Hawthorn Town Hall; around above, TOWN HALL ERECD. 1888 - 9 in small letters in exergue, A.E. BROWN - JEWELLER / HAWTHORN
Legend in nine lines; IN / COMMEMORATION OF / HAWTHORN / BEING PROCLAIMED / A CITY & THE VISIT OF / HIS EXCELLENCY / THE GOVERNOR / OCTR. 22 / 1890
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), 15/3/1976
Right Honourable John A. Hopetoun KT, GCMG, GCVO, PC
Governor of Victoria at time of medal issue.
(edge) (obverse) (reverse)
Type of item
4.61 g (Weight)