Australia Victoria Queenscliff
Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 1897 (AD)
Mint: not recorded
Other Details: Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897 was celebrated the great enthusiasm throughout the British Empire. It prompted many Australian local governments and to issue commemorative medals, such as this medal issued by the Borough of Queenscliff. The medal names G.F. Bailleu as Mayor of Queenscliff. This may be George Francis Baillieu (note spelling), third son of James George Baillieu and Emma Pow, English immigrants who settled in Queenscliffe and had 15 children. The family profited considerably from the growth of Queenscliff, although all but George eventually moved away from the area. His brother William Lawrence became an MLC. Queenscliff is a township at the western entrance to Port Phillip Bay. Originally called Whale Head, it was re-named Shortland's Bluff in 1837 and Queenscliff in 1853 by Lt. Governor C. J. La Trobe, after Queen Victoria. The town serviced light houses at the mouth of Port Phillip Bay, and a thriving local fishing industry developed, utilizing access to both the Bay and to Bass Strait. During the later nineteenth century it became a popular seaside resort, with direct access to Melbourne via steamship.

Obverse Description

Conjoined head of Victoria of 1837 and veiled bust of Victoria of 1897; around, QUEEN VICTORIA'S 60TH. YEAR OF REIGN * 1837 TO 1897 *

Reverse Description

At centre within broad rim, a lighthouse set within a fenced-off area overlooking sailing-ship at sea; around, * BOROUGH OF QUEENSCLIFF * G.F. BAILLEU, MAYOR 1897

Edge Description


More Information