Australia Victoria Gisborne
Medal - Port Phillip Farmers' Society Gold Prize 1859 (AD)
Mint: not recorded
Awarded to Mr W. Thomson
Other Details: First prize medal awarded to Mr W. Thomson for a collection of agricultural produce at the 1859 Gisborne Exhibition. The medal was awarded by the Port Phillip Farmers Society (now known as Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria). The Society was formed in 1848 from a number of earlier farmers' societies in Victoria. The Society aimed to improve agricultural practices to meet the food needs of a growing population, and conducted ploughing matches in the area around Flemington. In 1855 it established showgrounds in Parkville, opposite the present site of The University of Melbourne. The current showgrounds in Ascot Vale were not established until 1882.
A gold prize medal (38 mm. diameter) featuring a rural scene of farm house, reclining cow, sheep, horse and tools below gum tree branch and details of the prize engraved within open wreath below small Kangaroo
Rural scene of farm house, reclining cow, sheep, horse and tools below gum tree branch; in exergue in tiny letters, ARNOLDI
Engraved within open wreath; below, a small kangaroo; inscribed Collection Agl. Produce / 1st PRIZE / awarded to Mr W.Thomson / Gisborne Exhibition 1859; around, PORT PHILLIP FARMER'S SOCIETY; below, INSTITUTED 1848
The Port Phillip Farmers Society (now known as Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria) was formed in 1848 from a number of earlier farmers' societies in Victoria. It aimed to improve agricultural practices to meet the food needs of a growing population, and conducted ploughing matches in the area around Flemington. In 1855 it established showgrounds in Parkville, opposite the present site of The University of Melbourne. The Society established a model farm on 59 ha in nearby Royal Park. Later, in 1870, it invested its assets in a new organization, the National Agricultural Society of Victoria, which set up a new show site at Emerald Hill in South Melbourne. The current showgrounds in Ascot Vale were established in 1882, and have been the base for the Royal Melbourne Show ever since.
In May 1890, Queen Victoria assented to the use of the 'Royal' prefix by the Society in recognition of its ongoing contribution to the improvement of agriculture. The Society then became the Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria and the Show, the Royal Melbourne Show. -Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria web site http://www.rasv.com.au/; Essendon Network for Employment, Education and Training web site http://www.enet.org.au/historyonline/mccracken/peter.htm; Glyn Rimmington, University of Melbourne, web site http://rimmo.mur.csu.edu.au/rimmo/hyperbook/5/5.4.html -D. Tout-Smith 2/10/2003.
German die-engraver who worked in the Kangaroo Office. He is not named on this medal, but his name appears on NU 20912.
Obverse: PORT PHILLIP FARMERS ASSOCIATION INSTITUTED 1848 Collection Agl. Produce 1st PRIZE awarded to Mr W.Thomson Gisborne Exhibition 1859
Type of item
37.713 g (Weight)
Exhibition Collection Management
2 mm (Length), 38 mm (Width)
Width = Diameter
[Article] Jewell, Raymond T. 1962. 'Australiana' No.1. Australian Numismatist. 17 (4)