Centenary Run Medal awarded to Albert G. Lindblade, involved in the Century Run cycle race in 1898.
The medal is made up of a wheel set on a victory wreath. At the top are the letters LVW (League of Victorian Wheelmen). A female figure, perhaps representing the colony of Victoria, holds a flag inscribed "100" and offers a wreath. The cycle racing craze of the 1890s saw the replacement of the penny-farthing as the racing cycle of choice by cycles of a more modern appearance. In 1891 the Exhibition Buildings constructed the colony's main cycle racing track where the entrance foyer of Museum Victoria now stands. Two years later the League of Victorian Wheelmen was established, and became the governing body of the sport. Its mission was 'to advance racing and touring and the trade of cycling in all the lands under the Southern Cross'. 'We firmly believe that cycling has a great future (with the) beautiful models of perfection as (we seen in) the bicycle of the present day world. (We) anticipate the pleasures extending (and) advocate sweeping away the terms amateur and professional' (Australian Cyclist Journal 7 September 1893).

Obverse Description

At centre over a victors wreath a bicycle wheel, at top 'LVW' and a loop for wearing; below enameled in blue, 'CENTURY RUN / 1898'; on wheel a female figure standing left holding flag inscribed '100' and offering wreath.

Reverse Description

Engraved, 'A.G. Lindblade / WITTENB...(illeg) / STSIL'.

Edge Description


More Information