Summary

Negative of Joe Parle, an employee at H.V McKay Massey Harris. Parle is holding a commemorative plate which he received for his involvement in establishing the Footscray and District Hospital. He was presented with the award during a ceremonial event held during the recommencement of the hospital's construction in August 1947. Parle was the Vice-President of the hospital committee. Parle's involvement with the hospital began during a public meeting in 1919 when he moved to establish the institution. Together with other employees, Joe organised a subscription drive to accumulate funding. This money was then used to purchase land for a hospital in Eleanor Street, Footscray for £2,000. In 1938, an Out-patients and Welfare Centre was built on the six acre site. The outbreak of war halted further construction but recommenced in 1947.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Man holding a plate in his left hand. He is wearing a coat, jacket, shirt and tie. He is seated in front of a roller door.

Physical Description

Black and white negative.

More Information