Photograph of Eta Argus Nebula taken at Mount Stromlo Observatory, 8 May 1912.

A 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, to the Commonwealth Government, for the establishment of the Commonwealth Solar Observatory.

Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used the telescope at Mount Stromlo from September 1911 to September 1912, to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent observatory.

Description of Content

Stars of Eta Argus Nebula

More Information