Melbourne Observatory astronomers Pietro Baracchi and James Baldwin used a 9 inch refracting telescope by Grubb, Dublin, at Mount Stromlo to test the suitability of the site for the establishment of a permanent Commonwealth Solar Observatory. The telescope was donated in 1910 by James Oddie of Ballarat, and hence known colloquially as the 'Oddie Telescope'.

For one week each month from September 1911 to December 1912, Baracchi and Baldwin visited Mt Stromlo to take observations and photographs.

Description of Content

Star photograph taken at Mount Stromlo

More Information