Photograph of a computer diagram entitled "Fig.6. Block diagram of the magnetic store system". Diagram shows the logical layout of the magnetic drum store system of the CSIRAC Mark 1 computer, Australia's first stored-program computer.
CSIRAC was built by the Commonwealth and Industrial Research [CSIR], Sydney, in 1949 and was the fourth computer in the world. It was later transferred to the University of Melbourne. Designed by Trevor Pearcey and engineered by Maston Beard, CSIRAC completed more than 1000 projects by the time it was turned off in 1964. It is currently housed at Museum Victoria.
This is one of a set of photographs showing computers, computer components, computer structure diagrams and computer programmimg instructions, probably used as aids in teaching computing subjects. The diagrams and instructions relate to several pioneer models and systems of stored program computers dating back as far as the 1950s and including CSIRAC (originally known as CSIR Mark 1), Cirrus, Atlas, IBM System/360 , CDC 6600 System, and Illiac IV.
Description of Content
Block diagram showing the magnetic store system of the CSIRAC Mark 1 computer.
Black and white photographic print of a computing block diagram.
Donation from Steve & Connie Kormas, 22/02/2001
Photograph, Black & White
Museum Victoria catalogue reference handwritten in black pencil on reverse at lower right: "MM 68346". Title printed below the diagram: "Fig.6. Block diagram of the magnetic store system". Handwritten in blue ink on reverse: "CSIRAC Logical Diagram of Drum Store".
Type of item
216 mm (Length), 163 mm (Width)