Crowd standing in front of the Ballarat Observatory, probably at its official opening on 2 March 1888.

The Ballarat Observatory was established by James Oddie in 1886, and Captain H. E. Baker appointed its first superintendent. Baker designed and built a 26 inch reflecting telescope, visible in the left of the photo. Both buildings were designed with roll-off roofs to facilitate use of the telescopes.

Photograph in a photograph album used at Melbourne Observatory, late 19th century. The photographs show the main Melbourne Observatory building, Great Melbourne Telescope, 8 inch transit telescope, recording equipment, observatories in other cities and countries, astronomers, astronomical photographs of sun and stars.

Description of Content

Crowd standing in front of the Ballarat Observatory. Large reflecting telescope visible in observatory.

More Information