Summary

Base of a domestic lantern, forming part of a lampascope ensemble from the Francis Collection [HT 3805]. The burner of this lamp is a 'Kosmos' burner, developed by the Berlin company of Wild and Wessel in 1865. This paraffin/kerosene burner utilizes a flat wick which is folded into a tube. The distinctive chimney has a restricting 'pinch' which helps with air flow. In 1899 the company was taken over by Brökelmann, Jaeger & Co. The logo on the wick winder knob dates the base of the lantern from this latter period. This company did not necessarily produce either the lamp or the lantern, as burners were frequently sold on whole-sale.

This lamp base is part of the Francis Collection of pre-cinematic apparatus and ephemera, acquired by the Australian and Victorian Governments in 1975. David Francis was the curator of the National Film and Sound Archive of the British Film Institute as well as being a co-founder of the Museum of the Moving Image in London, which was operational between 1988 and 1999.

Physical Description

Glass paraffin (table) lamp. Clear glass base leading to column support with multi-couloured decorative swirls on the inside. The main body is bulbous and is made from pink glass. The brass burning attachment sits on top and would burn to light up the lantern. It is very decorative in style with "crown" style cut metal trim.

More Information