Wooden sledge used by Arch Hoadley on the Australasian Antarctic expedition 1911-1914, which was led by Douglas Mawson. Charles Archibald (Arch) Hoadley was a geologist on the Western party of the 1911-1914 Australasian Antarctic Expedition. He was stationed at the Western Base in Queen Mary Land and participated in a number of sledging journeys including the summer westward expedition.

After returning to Australia Hoadley became heavily involved in the Scouting movement and was the first Warden of the Gilwell Park training ground for Scouts Australia. This sledge was mounted in the Russell Troop Hall at Gilwell Park until it was donated to Museum Victoria in 2003.

It is part of Museum Victoria's collection of artefacts from the 'Heroic Era' of exploration of Antarctica.

Physical Description

Wooden sledge with two long runners attached using wooden crosspieces, leather and ropes constructed from plant fibres.

More Information