One Penny Token, minted by an unknown British mint, circa 1862. Issued by Fenwick Brothers, Importers & Clothiers, Melbourne. In November 1852 Orlando Fenwick arrived in Melbourne, he brought goods out from England with him to found a drapery business. He began business in the Western Market, and then moved to the diggings where he opened a business, Fenwick and Snowden, that lasted about 12 months. Fenwick then opened a store at Sandridge (Port Melbourne). In 1857 Fenwick moved his business to King Street and was joined by his brother Pascoe. In 1862 they opened a wholesale warehouse in Collins Place (Equitable Place). Fenwick Bros. issued two tokens, which bear their address, and the government flagstaff, giving prospective customers a clear indication of where to find the store.
Previous Collections: George McArthur
A round copper token giving the name address and business of the issuer: Fenwick Brothers, 225 King Street, Melbourne, Importers and Clothiers. The obverse features a view of Observatory House beside a large flagstaff with cross stays, ropes etc. A single flag, divided horizontally with the top half shaded in vertical lines and the bottom plain (red and white), flies from the left side of the flagstaff. The reverse features a profile portrait of Queen Victoria.
At centre, a view of Observatory House beside a large flagstaff with cross stays, ropes etc. A single flag, divided horizontally with the top half shaded in vertical lines and the bottom plain (red and white), flies from the left side of the flagstaff. Around, FENWICK BROTHERS IMPORTERS & CLOTHIERS. 225 KING ST. above address, FLAG STAFF
At centre head of Queen Victoria facing left, around, 225 KING STREET MELBOURNE .VICTORIA .
Transfer from National Gallery of Victoria (NGV), George McArthur, 15/3/1976
circa 1862 AD
Obverse: FENWICK BROTHERS IMPORTERS & CLOTHIERS 225 KING ST. FLAG STAFF Reverse: 225 KING STREET MELBOURNE VICTORIA
Type of item
13.546 g (Weight)
1.5 mm (Length), 34 mm (Width), 1.5 mm (Depth), 34 mm (Height)
Measurement From Conservation.
"The building with the flag staff shown on these coins is a relic of the early days when ships arriving were signalled the class of ship and where from being indicated by different flags" Alfred Chitty catalogue p.76, 1923.
[Book] Andrews, Arthur. 1921. Australasian Tokens and Coins., Cat.No.121
[Book] Heyde, Gilbert C. & Skinner, Dion H. 1967. Unofficial Coins of Colonial Australia and New Zealand., Cat.No.69
[Article] Sharples, John P. 1993. A Catalogue of the Trade Tokens of Victoria 1848 to 1862. Journal of the Numismatic Association of Australia. vol.7: p.1-77., Cat.No.V.67
[Thesis] Lugton, Mary E. 1989. George McArthur of Maldon: his Life and his Book Collection.
[Catalogue] Morrison, Ian. 2003. The Baker of Maldon.