Copper One Penny Token, minted by an unknown British mint. Issued by T.W. Courlay & Co, Ironmongers, Christchurch, circa 1864. This firm traded briefly in Christchurch, probably from 1862 to 1865. The earliest record of the company was from the 22 October 1862 edition of the local paper the Christchurch Press, which announced that the store would be opening on 15th of September; presumably this advertisement had been running for more than a month by the time the October edition was printed. The store was known as Economy House, and was located in Ferry Road, Christchurch. In 1864 part of Ferry Road was renamed High Street, making it likely that the tokens were issued around this date. The business was listed in local directories until 1865.

Physical Description

A round copper token (34 mm diameter). The piece features the name, address and business of the issuer: T.W. Gourlay & Co. Economy House High Street Christchurch, ironmongers. The obverse features a cast iron fireplace and the reverse a two-man timber saw. Heavy knock to right side of reverse.

Obverse Description

At centre a cast-iron fireplace, above, [T.]W. COURLAY & Co. / IMPORTERS / OF below, AND / KITCHENERS / CHRISTCHURCH. T damaged by heavy knock to reverse.

Reverse Description

At centre a two-man timber saw, above, ECONOMY HOU[SE] / BUILDERS / & / FURNISHING below, IRONMONGERS / HIGH STREET. SE of house damaged by heavy knock.

Edge Description


More Information