White metal advertising check, minted by Stokes & Martin, Melbourne. Issued by Levy Bros & Co, Fancy Goods Importers, Melbourne, 1889. In 1852 the Levy brothers, Goodman, Nathaniel and Lewis, established a fancy goods warehouse and importing business in Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. Another brother, Alfred, was a travelling sales representative. They moved to Queen's Arcade in 1853. In 1858 the business moved to Bourke Street, then later to the corner of Flinders Lane and Elizabeth Street, and later to Little Collins Street. In 1890 the business returned to Lonsdale Street. Nathaniel and Lewis retired in 1867, and Goodman took a partner, Walter Josephs. Alfred was murdered on the road from Beechworth to Melbourne, and Goodman moved to England to manage the London end of the business. In 1896 Horace, son of Goodman, was admitted as a partner. When Walter Josephs died in 1907 the business was converted to a Limited Proprietary company. In 1912 the business was still running in Lonsdale Street, with a bulk store in Franklin Street. An advertisement from the time described them as Merchants, Wholesale Distributors and Importers, and stated that they also had operations in London, Hamburg and New York.

Previous Collections: McArthur, George

Obverse Description

Crowned Gothic bust of Queen Victoria; around, VICTORIA EMPRESS (Based on Indian Rupee or Gothic florin)

Reverse Description

Within Wreath, LEVY / BROS & Co. / LONSDALE ST. E / MELBOURNE below wreath, 1889

Edge Description


More Information