Summary

Bronze One Penny Token, minted by Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by G.L. Beath & Co, Drapers, Christchurch, circa 1870. G.L. Beath & Co. was actually founded by a Mr. Kirby in 1860, and Beath only joined the company in 1866. Kirby later left the business, and Beath brought in his brother-in-law, Frank Malcolm. Beath and Malcolm remained in business together until 1896, trading as G.L. Beath & Co. Malcolm left the partnership in 1896 to go into business on his own and Beath was joined by J.E. Wickenden. Together they expanded their store greatly, and in 1902 they transformed the business into a limited liability company. By this time Beath had retired from active involvement in the business, but he remained a director of the company until his death in 1914.

Previous Collections: National Gallery of Victoria by exchange with Melbourne Mint, 1919

Physical Description

A round copper token (31 mm diameter). The piece features the name, address and business of the issuer: G.L Beath & Co., Argile House, Cashel Street, Christchurch, importers, clothiers and drapers. The reverse features a coat of arms with lion supporters.

Obverse Description

Legend in seven lines, G.L. BEATH & CO / CLOTHIERS / DIRECT / IMPORTERS / & / DRAPERS / CHRISTCHURCH

Reverse Description

At centre a coat of arms with lion supporters. Around, ARGYLE HOUSE CASHEL STREET Motto on ribbon below arms, VIX EA NOSTRA VOCO

Edge Description

Plain

More Information